Search This Blog

SUN

Thursday, April 28, 2011

I love you, Alabama!

I write today with a heavy heart. My "sweet home" Alabama is in a state of devastation. 

I awoke yesterday to heavy winds that scared me to my core.  Little did I know that was the tip of the iceberg. As I drove to work, I had an uneasy feeling. I arrived in Chelsea to dead still traffic where I waited for four hours on my normal route of Hwy 280. I finally turned around.

All the radio stations told us all to be careful and prepare for a nasty day of weather. I don't know that anyone could have prepared for what came next. By five o'clock, there was a tornado, almost a mile wide, hitting my college town of Tuscaloosa, AL... the town in which I spent five years of my life. I began to frantically call and text my friends who still live there.  They were all alive. But, several lost their homes. The tornado went on to devastate areas all over our state. I've heard reports of 66 tornadoes in our state yesterday. Over 200 people are dead. 400,000 are still without power. 1000s are left with nothing but the clothes on their back. My heart is broken for my beautiful state and its residents. I couldn't tear my eyes from my t.v. last night.  I've cried off and on all day as I listen to reports and see the devastation with my own eyes.

Over the past few years the natural disasters around the world have hurt my heart. But, I must say that when it hits home, its an indescribable feeling. The road to recovery will be long. But, in time of need, the people of Alabama unite. We will do that again. We will rebuild. Alabama will be "the beautiful" again. Please, if u are able, send donations or volunteer your time.  Every little bit counts. Alabama, I love you!

XOXO, Stevi

1 comment:

Bleue Mignonne said...

Thank you for this beautifully poignant post. I have family and friends who lost everything as well. The road will not be easy,but we will go on, rebuild and heal as a community.

"May the Lord lift up his countenance upon Us, and give Us peace."

You, your family and friends will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

May God be with you.
~AMJ